Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 May 2015

MATHEMATICS VIDEOS (another Professor Leonard)

                                            MATHEMATICS VIDEOS

                     Learn Mathematics from another Professor Leonard, presented as clearly and simply as possible




                                             WHAT IS MATHEMATICS?





Thank you for this share Diego Andrés Pérez Ruiz

;"That's no hydroxyl ion! That's my wife!"
BUSINESSINSIDER.COM
Unlike · Comment · 
  • Bob Wardrop I have used variations on jokes 1 and 7 for years in my classes. For 1, in WI we replace rabbit with deer, for that's what we (well, not me) hunt. I suppose that rabbit works better in, say, Australia. Also, 7 is also told in a more lengthy, but self-contained, version with boiling water the goal. BTW, if anybody ever questions the usefulness of 7, I use the following example: How does a mathematician make a number negative? He/she uses the formula -|x|. Thus, for example, in order to make -3 negative, first make it positive |-3|=3 and then put a - in front of it. Good post, Tom!
    Unlike · Reply · 1 · 1 hr
  • Bob Wardrop OK. I almost never post `math stuff' on facebook, but I am on a roll. Blame my friend Tom Leonard! Anyways, in ANOVA (a stat topic) and related problems people write x_ij (this means x with two subscripts, an i and a j). Then, as examples, they will write x_13 which means the third observation from group 1. I point out that statisticians should use a comma between i and j so that we can tell whether x_111 means the 11 obs from group 1 or the 1st obs from group 11. I am quick to point out that my comment is a criticism only of statisticians and NOT mathematicians b/c I have never met a mathematician who had any intention of EVER replacing i and j with actual numbers!
    Unlike ·

                 
                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment